We are a global lifestyle brand built on transforming the travel experience. In support of our mission, we are seeking a boundary-pushing, inspiring, and strategy-led Executive Creative Director to join our Creative team. This role will directly oversee all creative output across the brand—pushing the brand from a direct to consumer startup to a globally recognized creative and brand powerhouse.
The Creative team at Away conceptualizes creative strategies that position Away as a leader in innovative campaigns, products, and design by executing all creative initiatives including large scale, multi-platform creative for partnership and product launches, experiential deliverables, retail assets, digital marketing assets, and more. We act as brand stewards, maintaining consistent brand tone and visual identity across all channels and outlets.
Want to help us transform the travel industry? The ideal candidate has a strong creative/advertising background, with experience in an in-house/brand side creative role. The candidate should be self-motivated, inspirational, and maintain high personal standards with an exceptional understanding of the cultural and creative landscape. This role will be based in our SoHo, New York offices.
As a company that values inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds and experiences to apply for this position.
What you’ll do:
- Strategically push the creative integrity of all campaigns and deliverables to cement Away as a global brand leader, while meeting the business objectives.
- Leverage cultural and consumer insights to ensure all creative work is strategy-led and positions Away as a thought leader.
- Evolve, own, and iterate on the brand visual identity and voice for multi-channel campaigns that touch all areas of the customer experience—including social, retail, web, experiential, and more.
- Lead a growing team of creative directors, art directors, copywriters, and designers to create first-in-class marketing and advertising for the Away brand.
- Partner with your creative team leads (production, creative studio, creative services, creative resourcing) to identify the right frameworks needed to ensure the team has the time, tools, and process to facilitate impactful work.
- Partner closely with Brand Marketing, Growth, Product, and other key stakeholders throughout the business to ensure creative output is highly effective while maintaining brand standards and innovation.
- In collaboration with Talent Acquisition, attract and recruit a team of top-tier creative talent across art direction, copy, and graphic design—continuously monitoring bandwidth and expertise needs.
- Operate at a highly visible and strategic level while managing a growing team of creatives—ensuring a high standard of execution while never missing an opportunity to mentor and motivate.
The Ideal Candidate
Who you are:
- 15+ years experience in brand creative direction—both agency and in-house experience required.
- You have a compelling portfolio of distinctive work that elevates a brand’s creative experience.
- A creative visionary—people are inspired by and excited to work with you.
- You operate at an executive level with the ability to both mentor and manage.
- Extensive knowledge of channel best practices—you never push creative work forward at the expense of business goals.
- Experience in and comfortable working cross-functionally—especially with Brand and Growth teams.
- Strong organizational skills, keen eye for detail, and ability to manage multiple projects at once.
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment where deadlines, priorities, and initiatives change frequently—Empowered and Iterative are core values at Away.
- Exceptional presentation skills with the ability to clearly and articulately explain your rationale and evoke excitement with your recommendations.
- Experience leading photo and video production.
- Expert in the Adobe Suite, G-Suite, Keynote, and any other relevant tools needed.
- Team player with a "no task is too small" attitude
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Passionate about transforming travel (but that’s a given!)
- Education requirements didn’t limit the career of our co-founder Jen Rubio, and it won't limit your opportunities at Away either. We do not restrict our application pool based on education degrees, if you have strong professional experience, we want you to apply!