Overview of Design Director Position: UNIQLO Global Creative Lab
The Design Director works under the Global Creative Director to ideate, design, and produce advertising and communication materials for various campaigns –seasonal; brand; special collections. Media used for campaigns include OOH, print and digital and broadcast touchpoints. Creative for these campaigns is also developed and prepared for in-store visual presentations.
- Manage the creation and execution of all visual concepts/ presentations that clearly articulate creative direction and communication strategy from concept to launch.
- Oversee creative and maintain consistency for the UNIQLO brand across many touchpoints.
- Think strategically and connect design thinking back to specific business-use cases.
- Drives quality and consistency in all our work. Creative judgement is critical.
- Deliver world-class creative ideas executed flawlessly.
- Represents UNIQLO’s brand and mission both in and outside of the company.
Directs and oversees a team of designers and copywriters across multiple disciplines: illustrators, graphic designers and 3D artists.
Manages design calendar, milestone achievement, and ensures all design team members execute within designated time periods.
Guides process and provides conceptual structure as campaign directions are developed.
- Is a leader and decision-maker on-set during production.
- Is a strong presenter of the creative at key meetings, both internal/external-facing.
- Keeps Global Creative Director informed on all project developments.
- Maintains proper administrative controls to ensure all deadlines/release dates are met
- Participates in presentation meetings and weekly production meetings.
- Responsible for post-creative production follow through all the way to final delivery
- Monitors the vendor bid/proposal and production processes to ensure organizational and budgetary goals are met
The Ideal Candidate
- BA in Graphic Design or related field.
- 12-15 years of print and digital design experience, preferably in-house or at a creative agency.
- Strong sense of type, layout and design fundamentals.
- 7-10 years’ experience in art direction.
- Knowledge of photography, filmmaking/motion and a deep appreciation of fashion trends and aesthetics.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Experience using: InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Keynote, and multi-media programs as needed.
- Strong calendar management skills and ability to lead teams with achieving milestones.
- Excellent multi-tasking abilities and problem solving.
- Deep understanding of product creation process from implementation to execution.
- Result and solution oriented.
- Impeccable cross-functional communication skills: written and verbal.
- Able to understand that with fast growth comes fast change, and as a result, works well in environments that can change day to day.
- Able to collaboratively work alongside strategy and marketing counterparts to provide state-of-the-art solutions that meet key business opportunities and problems.
- Able to bring a systemic point of view to problem solving, yet knows how to isolate specific design issues and opportunities.
- Is a role model and proven leader who others want to work with.
- Passion for, and history of, growing various levels of designers, providing positive and constructive feedback
- Has ability to storyboard or translate ideas to designers and others, influencing external and internal stakeholders.
- Able to create clarity of direction and action for designers.
- Self-motivated and able to lead design projects from concept to completion.
- Willing and able to roll up sleeves and contribute wherever needed.
- Experience working in bi-cultural environments with international business offices.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally regularly for photo shoots, meetings, etc.
BENEFITS AND PERKS:
Benefits include vision, dental, life, and health insurance, plus 401K.
Flexible hours and generous 'out of office time' for holidays, vacations.
Maternity and paternity benefits at 100% pay for 12 weeks.
Team Building Off-Sites and Cultural Events