ABOUT BRAND EXPERIENCE
The Brand Experience team at Macy’s is passionate about finding new ways for the Macy’s brand to show up to the consumer, our vendors, and our colleagues. We live to challenge the status quo, change minds, and deliver growth as a result. Playing off Macy’s strengths, while exploring new approaches, the New Format team will develop and manifest a perspective on the future of retailing. Through this real-world exercise, the Brand Experience team will also derive and model new ways of working that inform how the broader company works.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Director of Store Design and Visual Display is responsible for driving innovation of the physical retail experience for new projects led by the Brand Experience team. This role will oversee the planning and execution of new stores and visual display in a seasonal cadence across multiple categories including apparel, beauty, gift and home. You will help to develop and execute a strategic vision, with a progressive, customer centric-approach that will create highly engaging branded environments. A key requirement is to demonstrate curiosity, agility and bias for action in a fast-paced startup business environment, transcending the scope of the traditional store design roles. And of course, you must also be able to build and maintain deep trust with your teams and key collaborators.
Position can be based in NYC or Dallas, TX.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Store Design & Build Out
- Partner with business leads to develop a scalable yet locally appropriate design language for a new retail concept.
- Work with internal and external design & construction resources to bring these concepts to fruition, on time and on budget.
- Manage vendor relationships for fixtures and other instore installations.
- Constantly innovate, looking for newness and efficiencies for each portion of the store execution.
Visual Display & Merchandising
- Concept & execute seasonal display in partnership with store teams.
- Partner with store team on weekly execution and updates.
- Partner with merchant team to react to sales trend and seasonal plans.
- Plan for scale by developing the visual directive for regional roll out.
- Manage visual communication / branding execution as needed.
- Budget seasonally for in store installations in partnership with operations and store teams.
- Regular, dependable attendance & punctuality.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The Ideal Candidate
THINGS YOU’LL NEED
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 10+ years of experience working within the creative experience design or interior design fields.
- Experience designing temporary pop-up installations / exhibitions preferred
- Excellent communication, organizational and presentation skills
- Experience developing architectural plans, detail shop drawings and fixture diagrams.
- Knowledge of Autocad and Adobe creative suite is preferred.
- Experience leading and developing a team.
- Negotiation skill—the ability to develop win-win solutions to complex business issues.
- Comfort blazing new paths and inviting others to follow.
- Capacity for frequent travel to markets, stores, collaboration partners, warehouses, and to shop the competition.
- This position involves regular walking, standing, hearing, and talking. May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, or crouching. Involves close vision, color vision, depth perception, and focus adjustment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and store/company needs.
ONE MORE THING
We love people with special sauce! Do you juggle, run marathons, or plan secret dinner parties? Be sure to let us know!