ABOUT THE ROLE
Our Visual Merchandising + Store Design Director exists to develop, direct, manage and execute creative work, including store design and visual merchandising. This role is unlike a typical visual merchandising + store Design director because of how deeply integrated it with the merchandising and editorial strategy unique to each theme. You’ll be challenged to develop the creative guidelines manage all creative production, from inception to on-time completion and lead a creative team, comprised of internal team members and freelance/contracted designers, fabricators and vendors.
And you’ll also be part of a cross-functional team of expert colleagues working in new ways—more agile, more adaptive, and more human—so throw the old playbook away. A typical day for this role might include designing a floor plan for upcoming theme, coming up with a fixture solution for a hard to merchandise item, and developing a new STORY launch playbook for visuals and regular collaboration with our Director of Merchandising and VP of Storytelling. In the end, it’s all about designing and executing to meet the needs of an ever-changing and flexible environment. This role reports to the VP of Storytelling.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Interpret themes into design concepts for store design and visuals merchandising needs and execute, manage and develop guidelines for all visual elements accordingly
- Developing and managing the project schedule through all phases of design
- Develop and implement visual DOR’s by liaising with STORY managers to motivate and engage and develop Storytellers as it relates to the visual needs of each theme
- Regular, dependable attendance & punctuality
- Perform other duties as assigned
The Ideal Candidate
THINGS YOU’LL NEED
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- 10+ years of experience with retail visuals and store design at the corporate level
- Vision and passion—to see the future of retail and want to create it
- Entrepreneurial mindset and the ability to adapt quickly
- Resilience, tenacity, high energy. Able to rapidly bounce back from adversity.
- Strong communication, both in-person and through modern tools and platforms
- Ability to attract, develop and retain top talent
- Deep empathy and emotional intelligence
- Ability to inspire others to action through influence and advice
- Cross-functional exposure and experience in past roles
- Financial and operational acumen
- Comfort operating in non-hierarchical cultures and navigating hierarchical ones
ONE MORE THING
We love people with special sauce! Do you juggle, run marathons, plan secret dinner parties? Be sure to let us know!