About the Company
Tommy Hilfiger is one of the world’s leading designer lifestyle brands and is internationally recognized for celebrating the essence of “classic American cool” style, featuring preppy with a twist designs.
Founded in 1985, Tommy Hilfiger delivers premium styling, quality and value to consumers worldwide under the Tommy Hilfiger and Hilfiger Denim brands, with a breadth of collections including Hilfiger Collection, Tommy Hilfiger Tailored, men’s, women’s and children’s sportswear, denim, accessories, and footwear. In addition, the brand is licensed for a range of products, including fragrances, eyewear, watches and home furnishings. Founder Tommy Hilfiger remains the company’s Principal Designer and provides leadership and direction for the design process.
Tommy Hilfiger, which was acquired by PVH Corp. in 2010, is a global apparel and retail company with more than 17,000 associates worldwide. With the support of strong global consumer recognition, Tommy Hilfiger has built an extensive distribution network in over 90 countries and more than 1,400 retail stores throughout North America, Europe, Latin America and the Asia Pacific region. Global retail sales of the Tommy Hilfiger brand were US $6.7 billion in 2014.
PVH Corp., one of the world’s largest apparel companies, owns and markets the iconic Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger, Van Heusen, IZOD, ARROW, Speedo*, Warner’s and Olga brands. It is the world’s largest shirt and neckwear company and markets a variety of goods under its own and licensed brands.
Tommy Hilfiger Menswear is a global business comprised of the Sportswear, Tailored & Hilfiger Edition and Special Project collections. The product is designed, sourced and produced through our Amsterdam Headquarters and is distributed in all Tommy Hilfiger retail and ecommerce channels globally, as well as Tier 1 and 2 department and specialty stores in all regions. (The only exception being Macy’s, North America.) The breakdown of production volume for EMEA versus Rest of World is 58% / 42%.
Tommy Hilfiger Menswear division is one of the main business drivers within Tommy Hilfiger. Based in the Amsterdam European head office the Menswear team is split into 5 teams: Design, Merchandise, Product Development, Supply Chain and Business Operations. The 5 teams work together in an informal setting on creating superbly styled and high-end quality product.
Tommy Hilfiger Men’s sportswear presents 4 times per year. Tommy Hilfiger Men’s Sportswear is recognizable as being Classic, American and Cool with its own twist.
Position Description and responsibilities
As Designer Special Projects working in the Menswear Division you will be responsible for designing and executing all special project collections. You will work closely with our Design Manager: Special Projects, together with, developers, merchandisers on the development of each special project. Specifically, you will be responsible for:
- Reporting into the Design manager Special Projects in this role you’re working exclusively for all special projects at TH Menswear.
- Researching trends and conducting market research that can be worked into the Tommy Hilfiger brand strategy.
- Translating research and trends into a commercial TH menswear collection.
- Follow the range plan set by the merchandisers to build the special projects.
- Preparing all design sheets for divisional presentations.
- Preparing selected & confirmed styles into computerized design sheets. These must be completed to a high standard for sending to buying offices/vendors globally.
- Follow up on styles & selected fabrics each season in collaboration with product developer and design manager and communicating this to our buying offices/vendors & retail needs.
- Working closely and communicating daily on issues/changes that arise from the development of special projects.
- You will partner with product developer to ensure a smooth work flow each season when executing each style.
- Working closely with Technical department for the executing of garment fittings.
- Attend fittings to help find solutions to any problems that may come up during the fitting process.
- Working with Fabric and development team to select the best fabrics for each collection.
- Presenting special projects to merchandising team & management as requested.
- Working to the divisional calendar to meet deadlines.
- Making sure that the Tommy D.N.A. is seen in each garment.
- Degree at bachelor level – in Fashion design Mens
- Minimum 5+ years related experience in (a) leading Men’s brand(s)
- Very commercial mentality with consumer insights
- Solid knowledge of garment specifications, fitting and pattern making.
- Eye for details
- Excellent computer skills (Illustrator/Photoshop) & hand drawn skills
- Ability to translate trends into a commercial collection with a contemporary handwriting
- Capable of working in a hectic and always changing environment
- Fluent in English both written and verbal as English is the working language of the company
- No 9am-6pm mentality
- Open communicator and able to work with a number of personalities
To be successful in this position you need to have a good understanding of the trends, for both outerwear & leather and the ability to translate them into a commercial product. It is important that you are able to work independently as well as in a team and that you also enjoy working in a busy, changeable environment.
Please apply with your Menswear portfolio
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.