Associate Designer, Woven’s Job Description
Purpose/Scope: Work collaboratively under direction of Design Director. Design in all phases of the design development process: from building of initial concept through sample making and production. Facilitate communication with all necessary departments including print, trim, embroidery, merchandising, patternmaking and production and build partnerships across brand. Responsibility includes but is not limited to;
• Interface internally with all departments to gather inspirational information to apply to seasonal development
• Gather vintage garments to use for mock-ups and put together original ideas working w/ sample rooms.
• Source and develop new fabrics based on original vintage references.
• Attend vintage fairs and visit local vintage dealers for continuous model research
• Research and Develop dye and wash techniques to apply to conceptual and core programs
• Research market regularly for creative ideas, product awareness and pricing in order to present ideas that are well researched and brand appropriate.
• Initial Design sketches showing seasonal ideas for product development
• Historical photograph research and contemporary tear sheet research
• Detailed garment views and sketches for review in design meetings.
• Detailed flat “call-out” sketches for inclusion in technical packages to describe garment construction for factory to follow.
• Detailed fabric, print, embroidery and lace layouts working from vintage inspiration and historical photo references.
• Sketch modifications/ updates after design review in fittings to be sent with fit comments back to factories.
• Creation of design boards including mock ups, reference garments, fabrics, trims and sketches for design meetings
TRIM RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT:
• Pull research and trim options for design selection
• Work w/ Fabric team to research and pull together fabric options
• Assist in the preparation of garments for factory to follow for first proto including: draping of original garment for first proto, working w/ seamstress to create drape and/or original mock-up
• Initiate technical packages including measurement specifications, trims, construction details sketches for factory to generate first prototype. Work closely with Technical Design team when initiating info.
• Input design sketches, stripe layouts, collar and cuff layouts as required.
GENERAL DESIGN DUTIES:
• Line review/ showroom prep- Work as part of team to insure all changes are made to s/samples and assist in any required follow up
• Work on the creation of original color palettes for specific products.
The Ideal Candidate
• High level of creativity and understanding of high-end contemporary fashion market.
• Strong Design skills and ability to communicate ideas through hand sketches.
• Knowledge of draping a must.
• Technical Sketching and rendering capability.
• Ability to select and develop fabrics and trims to fit program needs.
• Excellent presentation and communication skills
• High level of computer proficiency- Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and Excel.
• Fashion Design Education a must. European design experience a plus.
• 3-5 Years Design experience, specifically with woven’s.
•Knowledge of better garment construction and sewing techniques