About the Department
We're responsible for creating engaging, beautiful products and services which help our customers express their love of fashion. We work hard to understand user needs and champion them throughout the product development process. We’re part of a global team with centres in London, Lisbon, Porto and Shanghai working in multi-disciplinary squads across a suite of products including web, mobile and instore.
About The Role
You have a unique opportunity to join a global product design team who are enabling the luxury fashion industry, defining what luxury means for digital.
This role is for an experienced designer with deep knowledge of working as a product designer within a multidisciplinary team (primarily design, engineering and product management). As a senior you are expected to have an extensive knowledge of design methods and practices that will help your team understand and make sense of their customers’ needs and behaviours. You will have deep technical knowledge of web or native UI and interaction design to ensure that the experience our customers have when using our products is appropriate, effective and coherent.
As well as helping to shape and craft products and features with your product team, we want you to use your knowledge to help us systematically build and develop the capability and expertise across the entire design discipline. We want designers who are able to identify and share good practice across teams and will strive to continually improve it.
We look for designers who are interested in helping raise up and develop those around them, and who are able to approach work with a clear intent and then afterwards to reflect upon the effectiveness.
You are able to communicate the importance and value of shared, collaborative design systems and have demonstrable experience in contributing to as well as working with them. You are able to demonstrate influence and credibility amongst your team, and the wider organisation.
You’ll specialise in web or mobile but have deep working experience of both, with a portfolio of examples which demonstrate your experience with end-to-end product design.
What You’ll Do
Help to build your product’s roadmap
- You’ll be working collaboratively with your team (product owners, engineers, researchers and others) in defining the problem space and desired customers outcomes. You will support the execution and development of strategy in your area based on the learning and explanations created by the teams.
- You’ll be involved in planning and execution of workshops to help align intent and understanding of business and customer goals, distilling and sharing this with other teams.
- You will work with your teams and the area’s leadership team to understand and roadmap their learning and research agenda for the period ahead.
- You’ll help to define hierarchy of user needs for the design project (use cases, heuristics), making sure that when customers interact with your product the experience is coherent, effective and consistent with our brand.
- You’ll have a strong understanding of your area’s technology and use these to ensure product decisions are made within those constraints.
- Discovery sprints - identifying opportunities to create value for our customers, and defining the problem space to remove risk.
- You’ll be able to help the team discover potential design routes by going broad and wide, creating provocations and prototypes to help the team build better products and features for our customers.
Detailed interaction and product design
- Helping the team understand solutions by working them through on paper or as visualisations.
- Using your knowledge and expertise of interaction design in very detailed microinteractions and also at task and flow level.
- Ensuring that the work from the team is consistent with the whole customer experience and designed with the customers’ high-level goals and needs.
- You are able to support the team’s work with minimal oversight or support, whilst also supporting and coaching the work of less-experienced design team members within your area of influence, levelling up the outputs of everyone around you in your product area.
Work as part of a team
- You’ll have strong experience of working in partnership with engineering teams and ensuring any design specifications are clear and well-understood by your team.
- You understand that design specifications are not the finished product that our customers use, so you constantly work with your team to improve and finesse the product through release and beyond.
- Working with engineering and product owners to bring your understanding of how customers interact and behave with products to ensure that they share your confidence in a solution.
- You’ll be able to define tags / trackers to eng for analytic data without oversight.
The Ideal Candidate
Who you are
- You have extensive experience working within product teams, either as a designer or a product owner.
- You have the ability to demonstrate the process and outcome of the evidence-based approach that you’ve employed on previous projects.
- You are regarded as an expert in designing products for web or native platforms.
- You have excellent collaboration skills, as well as being able to constructively direct action within teams.
- We don’t expect a formal degree, but your depth and domain of knowledge is equivalent to that of a BA/BSc/MA in HCI, Information Systems, Computer Science, Graphic Design or similar.
- You have working knowledge of developing and working with full-stack design systems.
- You have experience working on high traffic consumer products a plus.
- You have experience working within a platform business, Ecommerce or online retail.
- You will have excellent listening, verbal and written communication skills.
- You are able and willing to travel to other Farfetch offices when required.
- You understand how to select and develop appropriate methods for prototyping and when to apply them as tools to remove risk.
- You have experience of direct line-managing and their personal and professional development.
We can’t wait to receive your application. But before you send it to us, here are some helpful tips to make sure your application is as strong as it can be.
- Have you set out why this role is a good match for your career aspirations and that you have the skills and experience required? We want you to be as clear about your future ambitions as we are and whilst we encourage people to learn, develop and grow, you will need to hit the ground running.
- Have you checked spelling and grammar? We have high standards and you don’t want to miss out because of something as easily correctable as a typo.
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all employees. Applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.