Reporting to the COO, the Head of eCommerce will play the lead role in developing and delivering online success.
The Head of eCommerce will collaborate with cross-functional partners to manage all aspects of the eCommerce business including, trading and merchandising needleandthread.com, business planning and the implementation of new initiatives, content strategy and development, website design improvements and functionality, and web analytics.
The ideal candidate will have solid commercial experience and proven achievements in trading sites and growing online sales. With a focus on platform development, the ideal candidate will have first-hand experience in suggesting and leading strategic development projects and working effectively with agencies and stakeholders.
The role requires proven leadership skills along with experience of working in a fast-paced team environment. The ideal candidate must be able to demonstrate strong business judgement and decision-making skills and be able to identify, prioritise and articulate highest impact initiatives.
– Primary point of contact and project leader, working with key stakeholders to develop the online structure, ensuring high performance at all times. Evaluating, prioritizing, developing and implementing new business initiatives to deliver the business objectives.
‘Business as usual’ and project work
– Ensure the department runs an efficient and effective work schedule with a focus on priorities and delivering ROI. Direct team in planning, costing and managing all project work.
Work closely with Shopify Plus
– Regarding new integrations and platform developments to ensure seamless partnership and an optimized site at all times.
– Responsible for maintaining best practice site security at all times.
Setting budget and management
– Develop annual budget plan for eCommerce. Work closely with CEO, COO and CFO to discuss spend plan and department priorities.
ONLINE TRADING AND SITE MANAGEMENT
- Provide expertise on current eCommerce best industry practices. Generate and implement new sales initiatives to increase eCommerce sales and profitability.
Sales planning and delivery
– Work with eCommerce team to regularly review trading and performance to ensure all targets and KPIs are met.
– Ensure team are uploading all new products within the given timeframe and are optimizing products for high conversion.
– Ensure all content (images and written content) is up to date, accurate and uploaded within a timely manner. Ensure team are delivering all content within the brand expectations.
– Ensure that the site delivers a high-quality customer and brand experience including site navigation, content strategy, and check out.
– Regularly review with team how conversion can be further optimised. Establish test structures (MVT) to evaluate opportunities and their success ahead of development. Keep up to date with techniques and solutions within the industry to maintain efficient and high ROI results.
– Ensure that the site is optimised for organic trade. Work with agencies to ensure any modifications to SEO are addressed and developed as needed. Ensure the wider team are always keeping up to date with any Google developments.
– Work closely with PR and Marketing, refresh assets swiftly and effectively in line with marketing campaigns and promotions. Work with PR and Marketing to deliver high performing traffic to the site across multi-media channels.
– Work with Logistics Manager to maintain an overview of customer care to support high expectations.
– Ensure that we continue to deliver the best payment solution for online customers ensuring management of fees and chargebacks as well as offering the right mix of currencies and payment options.
– Motivate, develop and nurture the Digital Coordinator and the Junior Digital Coordinator. Regularly meet with direct reports to support and guide them to deliver the teams and their personal KPIs. Conduct all performance reviews with the Head of HR.
– Hold weekly trade meetings with the team to ensure a collective understanding of performance and agreement on actions. Identify and actively recruit any new roles or functions within the team, working with Head of Business Development where required.
– Ensure all interactions with peers and stakeholders are managed positively and efficiently to support the fast-paced business environment. Promptly follow up on all actions and take responsibility for your team’s activities and deliverables.
REPORTING AND ANALYTICS
- Manage all aspects of web analytics related to eCommerce, and communicate relevant information to team members, reporting to the Board where required. Review budgets and share updates to relevant stakeholders.
The Ideal Candidate
Significant, solid experience in a direct to consumer eCommerce role, with experience in leading technical and strategic development and projects.
Able to identify new areas of eCommerce opportunity beyond current organizational thinking.
Extensive knowledge of eCommerce technology and sophisticated analytics.
Strong experience interpreting test results and drawing conclusions. \
Strong technical understanding of eCommerce platforms and applications (Shopify Plus an advantage).
Leadership and management experience with the ability to motivate and nurture development.
Confident in reporting directly to the Board and Senior Management.
Excellent spoken and written communication skills.
Experience of managing agencies and budgets.
Team player with a positive ‘can do’ attitude.