Depop is the fashion marketplace where the next generation buy, sell and get inspired. We are headquartered in London, UK with locations in Manchester, New York, Los Angeles and Australia. We have more than 16 million registered users in 147 countries. In the UK, 1 in 3 Gen Z/Millennials are registered and in the US we have grown 300% over two years. We are also the only European player to have recently entered the top 25 shopping apps by daily active users.
Our mission is to empower the next generation to transform fashion, and our team of nearly 200 people are dedicated to serving the needs of our global community.
We operate on three pillars:
- Community: Our buyers, sellers and employees are inclusive, diverse and accessible. We are committed to empowering diversity within the fashion community.
- Entrepreneurship: We support our community and help them build their business with Depop. We thrive on supporting innovation by shaping an environment where creators, makers or hustlers can thrive.
- Sustainability: Depop helps extend the life of garments and reduce waste, we care about the world and want to make a positive change within the fashion industry.
Following the close of our recent $62M Series C round and with ambitious global growth plans ahead, we are looking to make our first in-house legal hire.
This senior-level role will be in charge of establishing and developing our legal function with responsibilities ranging from day to day problem solving and contract reviews through to setting the strategic legal agenda, risk management and mitigation and supporting the leadership team with any future financing events. As a senior leader in the business, your role will play a significant part in contributing to our growth, with your recommendations flowing through to Board level and embedded across the whole platform.
We’re looking for an experienced, practical and commercially minded individual who is prepared to be hands on and collaborative whilst building out our legal function and processes over the next year, to scale in line with our ambitious growth trajectory. This role will work closely with all areas of the business, taking over the management of our external legal advisers, whilst looking to in-source where possible.
Success in this role is about being both proactive and reactive - dealing pragmatically with issues as they arise but putting in place the processes and systems to prevent issues arising in the first place and putting us on firm legal footing in a constantly changing external environment. You will report to the Finance Director with a dotted line into and working closely with the COO.
No week is the same at Depop, therefore the successful candidate needs to thrive in an uncertain and rapidly changing environment. They need to be a self-starter, commercially minded and willing to get stuck in but equally be able to set things in a broader strategic and legal context. Ideally they will have had exposure to a high-growth, venture backed tech environment, especially digital or e-commerce.
- Reviewing, improve & establish our legal frameworks and processes, including contract, IP and statutory requirements.
- Working very closely with the Company’s leadership, including the Finance Director, COO & CEO on company critical legal and investment matters.
- Developing and executing on short and long-term strategy for scalable growth of the Legal function and its role at Depop, including building out the Legal team.
- Acting as a key stakeholder with all international teams to ensure consistency of legal terms across the business as the Company expands.
- Review the company’s key risks from a legal perspective and plan a strategic roadmap for mitigation.
- Advising the business on, and negotiating, M&A or joint partnership activity.
- Advising and coordinating the business on legal matters relating to Company financing, due diligence and other compliance requests.
- Supporting the negotiating and closing of commercial transactions, for both ongoing suppliers and new opportunities.
- Oversee Company Secretarial activities and requirements.
- Assisting external-facing teams with responses to any external litigation, risk matters or media requests.
- Acting as a key stakeholder on data protection matters across the business, alongside the DPO and other internal teams.
- Ensuring our marketing, technology and product teams are always operating in a legally compliant way.
- On-boarding, managing and “auditing” external legal advisers.
- Supporting and leading where required on legal matters related to our people, including the administration of share option schemes.
The Ideal Candidate
- At least 3 years post qualified experience at a top-tier City law firm. In-house experience at relevant companies will also be considered.
- Essential to be qualified to practice law in England, and have experience in either commercial or corporate law. Ideally you would have experience in company financing rounds.
- You will need to be hands on in carrying out legal work.
- You will be an ambitious, dedicated individual that is excited about the opportunity to develop a legal team in a fast-paced global business.
- You will need prior experience dealing with stakeholders across all levels of a business, from the board to the front line.
- You will need to work in an agile manner, able to prioritise an ongoing list of tasks, with a solutions-driven approach.
- Prior experience of working with or inside high growth technology businesses and/ or working with young people/ user-generated content, is very desirable.
Depop offers the opportunity to work in one of the UK's fastest-growing scale-ups, with a vibrant and diverse group of people, building a product we all deeply care about, in addition to:
Learn and Grow:
We sponsor and run a myriad of programs, conferences and meet-ups to up-skill our employees and enhance their journey with us, just ask!
We care about wellbeing. We offer a cycle to work scheme, healthy fruit and snacks in the office, breakfast every Tuesday, eye-care vouchers and a discounted gym membership.
Mental health is a top priority for Depop. We offer subsidised counselling appointments through SelfSpace, have mental health first aiders and also run yoga, meditation and more.
We have 25 days of holiday with the opportunity to buy or sell 5 more, a day off for activism, and sabbaticals for our long-serving employees.
We offer flexible working (based on your team), generous parental leave policies, and, all of our offices are dog-friendly!
We match up to 6% on your pension and offer discounts through BenefitHub.
We love to celebrate our successes at Depop. On Friday we finish an hour early to socialise with free food, and have amazing Winter and Summer Parties. We also host internal employee socials such as quiz night, games night, movie night and more.
Depop is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.