The Business of Fashion (BoF) is seeking a driven and dynamic Senior Editor for its Chinese-language edition, BoF China. Candidates must have strong analytical thinking, writing, editing and management skills to support the expansion of a fast-growing start-up.
The position requires an excellent understanding of China’s fashion, apparel, retail, manufacturing and textile industry/market as well as the ability to present the Chinese industry/market in both a domestic and global business context. The role requires visionary thinking to cover all value segments and sectors of the apparel industry from bargain and discount clothing brands to fast fashion and the middle market on to designer and luxury.
This is an exciting opportunity for a native Mandarin speaker to join a small but incredible team with the overall goal of becoming the global leader in the market for professional content and services for the fashion industry. This position reports directly to the Global Markets Editor.
- Manage a team currently located across London and Shanghai, and be prepared to help recruit and manage a growing team in China
- Communicate a weekly advance editorial plan to the Global Markets Editor for approval and discussion; provide written monthly activity and performance reports to Global Markets Editor
- Co-conceive and direct the editorial planning of the site, including the management of content on Trello
- Manage professional and effective press and public relations with the Chinese fashion, apparel, retail, manufacturing and textile industry; build and maintain good relationships with Chinese industry influencers.
- Search for new talented Chinese contributors and manage existing contributors
- Attend and report on fashion industry events and related news in Greater China
- Broker relationships and negotiate partnerships with content providers, syndication partners and potential clients, with the approval and consent of the Global Markets Editor or Editor-in-Chief
- Manage the research & development and pre-launch stages of BoF China Careers section, BoF China Education and other BoF products which may launch.
- Write at least one China site exclusive article in Chinese per week
- Procure exclusive news and breaking news; translate breaking news into Chinese and vice-versa
- Devise social strategy and support Associate Editor in the management of BoF China social platforms including Weibo, Wechat, LinkedIn, etc
- Deliver agenda-setting exclusives, insightful news analyses and sophisticated features with the highest standards of quality while meeting tight deadlines and weekly targets
- Proactively pitch and develop stories for a target audience of highly intelligent, globally-minded executives, entrepreneurs and other fashion industry decision-makers
- Assist in the copyediting of stories to ensure they are of top quality and on-brand
- In-depth research for articles and other projects
- Daily and weekly curation of articles relevant to specific topics and target audience
- Assist in the monitoring of newswires and formatting stories to be included on site
- Image sourcing and production
- Article layouts and formatting
The Ideal Candidate
- Based in BoF's shared workspace office in Shanghai, and occasionally work remotely in the UK or elsewhere abroad when needed
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule to meet the demands of a 24-hour news cycle
- Understanding of editorial/blogging platforms (WordPress)
- Degree from a recognized journalism program or equivalent work experience
- Strong writing skills and an ability to tell complex stories with flair
- Ability to take initiative and come up with story ideas
- Grasp of the fashion business
- Ability to cultivate industry sources
- Experience with business writing preferred
- Must thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment, perform under pressure and meet tight deadlines with a strong sense of accountability and attention to detail