The purpose of the Art Director is to drive creativity and innovation in all photography for New In on
, ensuring that every image conveys a Browns attitude and our distinct tone of voice, inspiring customers and influencing their shopping behaviour. This is a hybrid role where we are looking for a technical photography background paired with Art Direction expertise. The Art Director will share best practice to improve the technical and creative capability of the Studio team, managing the results through the team.
This role is based in the UK but requires significant travel to Portugal (Porto) where the studios are located.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interpret the Browns Creative Vision to assist the Head of Online Styling to develop photography guidelines and art direction guidelines which can be utilized by the studio team to shoot still life products and model sets to standard, driving consistency throughout imagery for brownsfashion.com.
- Provide strategic Art Direction to the studio team in relation to posing, lighting, composition, crops, and models, establishing guidelines to convey the direction and mood.
- Work with the Editorial and wider Brand Engagement team to interpret key brand messages and themes, translating these in the direction to ensure that Styling helps to drive consistency in the brand messaging.
- Continuously evaluate and update the Art Direction and Photography guidelines, to ensure they are relevant, on brand, and continue to push the boundaries.
- Impart knowledge on the studio team as to how to deliver according to the guidelines, offering feedback and coaching to maintain the best image quality.
- Be hands-on in directing both model and still life shots across any category, running your own sets and owning any special projects.
- Educate the team and prepare them to adapt to new techniques and practices in line with new initiatives that are launched.
- Audit and test lighting as a key factor impacting image quality, making suggestions to improve lighting conditions, and educate the team to encourage adoption of new technical lighting techniques.
- Motivate the Product Photography team to be curious on the product details, encouraging them to respect each product’s unique selling points and carefully consider how they can be showcased in order to drive impact in every image.
- Present weekly in-depth photography and art direction reviews of NEW IN, noting feedback and allowing this to inform the strategic priorities to improve consistency in the standards.
- Lead by example in shooting and retouching images to the highest standards, with particular reference to challenging items and categories, showing the team how this can be achieved and ensuring they can apply their learnings.
- Work with the technical team in the studio and sign off technical guidelines and support any team members that need training.
- Work closely with the Styling Editors to ensure the Browns vision and tone of voice is reflected consistently in every element on images.
- Assisting the Studio Manager to develop training and career development plans for all photography team members supporting their skill and capability development, and mentoring their careers.
The Ideal Candidate
- Extensive experience in model and stills photography ideally gained in both editorial and e-commerce environments.
- Able to cultivate a test-and-learn culture within the team, ensuring everyone can contribute to how we redefine e-commerce photography.
- Strong evidence of digital product photography (as per a portfolio) gained across an array of client/brand environments.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to articulate creative ideas and briefs.
- Commercially focused and curiosity to understand the performance behind the images.
- Adaptability – able to work to tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to manage budgets and project costs ensuring creative solutions are commercially viable without compromising on the quality and aesthetic.
- Able to offer feedback on-the-run and impact quality in real time.
- Motivated to coach and succession plan team members.