At Thread we believe that modern data science can revolutionise merchandising - fully or partially automating most numerical decisions - leaving the merchandiser to make higher level strategic decisions and provide bespoke analytical insight. We’re looking for a Merchandiser who shares our vision and wants to be part of creating a cutting-edge commercial team at Thread.
Reporting into the Merchandising Manager, you’ll work closely with our Business Development and Private Label teams to figure out what stock we should invest in to be able to provide the best experience for our customers. This involves developing range plans across both branded product and private label, helping the Business Development team decide where to focus their efforts, and working closely with brands to get the right stock in. You’ll also work with our data science team in developing powerful algorithms to turn as much of this into a science as possible.
All in all, this presents a unique merchandising challenge. To solve it we intend to blend top- notch fashion merchandising expertise with cutting edge data science, reinventing merchandising for the digital age as a result. We’re looking for a merchandiser who has the drive and ability to be part of making this happen.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Creating range plans based on detailed analysis of customer data including for our private labels, both existing and new
- Working with data scientists to identify range opportunities
- Quantifying and sizing orders
- Managing availability, cover, sell through, pricing and markdown through decision making and implementation rather than just making recommendations
- Partnering with the Operations team to manage the critical path, RTVs and replenishment
- Constantly iterating on our tools and processes for managing inventory and margin to ensure our merchandising function is as efficient and effective as possible
- Reporting on trade performance
- Creating a merchandising reporting suite in order to analyse performance
- Designing and conducting bespoke analysis to solve problems and assess growth opportunities
- Communicating performance and results of analysis across the company
The Ideal Candidate
Are you the one? You are if you...
- Have several years fashion merchandising experience, menswear strongly preferred
- Have experience at a pure play online retailer or significant exposure to the online channel elsewhere. Experience at a multi-brand retailer preferable
- Have experience of planning, forecasting and trading, ideally including own label range planning for a brand or a retailer’s private label
- Are highly analytical and default to data for decision making
- Are super organised and love working in a fast-paced environment
- Consider yourself to be a relentless optimiser
- Are comfortable with technology and can either already write SQL to access data from a database, or would be excited to learn how