Athleta is seeking a merchandising leader with a proven track record of driving results in a high growth business. Standout strengths must include product obsession, strategic agility, people development. Technical, performance expertise is highly desired. This role requires a leader who has a deep understanding and appreciation for technical performance product that’s as beautiful as it is innovative. This person is forward looking and able to connect emerging trends in sport, fashion and zeitgeist to seed and scale the next big commercial idea. The ultimate goal is to create product strategies that deliver highly covetable, distinct product thus answering the demands of our customer’s life in motion.
The Divisional Merchandise Manager requires strong leadership and collaboration skills and must set clear direction for the merchandising and cross functional teams. The ability to straddle the strategic and creative worlds is a key requirement. This person is a talent magnet and a talent builder capable of attracting and coaching the very best merchandising talent in the industry. In this role, you will lead a team of entry to director level merchandisers. The Divisional Merchandise Manager role is a Sr. Director level reporting into the VP of Merchandising.
What you'll do
- Develops, communicates and drives strategies for designated business, prioritizing actions to support division strategies and meet financial targets that enable our long-range plan to meet or exceed financial goals.
- Leads, develops, and inspires team to be customer-focused, innovative, solution oriented, fast and team-oriented in their work
- Collaborates with cross-functional team members to develop key concepts, key items, and omni assortments to ensure that the collection is commercially viable and provides an exciting and consistent customer experience across all channels
- Position Department investments to ensure that smart risks are being taken, core businesses are protected and financial targets are met
- Utilize assortment architecture to drive business results and inform future omni, store and web strategies that are cohesive across all areas of the business, not limited to own department
- Formulate department pricing strategies that are balanced with the product attributes and the consumer in mind, while remaining competitive within the marketplace
- Approve garment fit on key products/buys and ensure product execution meets the design aesthetic as well as commercially acceptable quality standards
- Present assortment to senior management for approval by developing presentation structure and content, and ensuring appropriate analysis is completed
- Identify business opportunities and risks in-season through analyzing sales performance and gathering marketplace information
- Change future Department strategies in-season where needed and provide appropriate and timely direction to the cross-functional team in order to react quickly to customer and business trends
- Champion product through lifecycle; serve as leader of cross functional team
Who you are
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- 7+ years of experience, 5+ years of management experience; ideally working in a high growth business and have a performance background.
- Ability to think objectively and interpret meaningful themes from quantitative and qualitative data
- Ability to evaluate financial and business indicators and translate data into actionable information to drive results; proficiency in retail math
- Understands importance of digital in driving the business and customer experience.
- Excellent at setting priorities, fostering cohesion and inspiring cross functional teams
- Able to use rigorous logic and methods to solve problems with effective solutions
- Demonstrated executive presence, ability to navigate complexity, work with creative and technical teams, and collaborate across a senior leadership team.
- Able to build constructive and effective relationships with a broad and diverse group of business partners
- Willing and able to travel to the market as needed