The GT/D works together with the Design department, pattern cutters and the Production team, managing and planning the entire garment development process, including the technical development of the garment from initial design stages through to final approval and launch of SMS.
You are responsible for the on-time delivery of all categories (woven-leather-denim-jersey-shoes-accessories) prototypes and samples, ensuring the brand’s standards of quality and price.
A split of the collections will be done based on skillset, experience between the 2 GT/D. By analysing garment construction, finishing and sizing, you are responsible for ensuring garments within your product categories are produced to a high quality and are well fitting.
The Ideal Candidate
Development (related to the assigned part of the collection)
- Managing critical path for development process with studio and manufacturers, to ensure deadlines for prototypes, fittings, samples and prices are met.
- Responsible for creation of tech packs and BOM sheets for each style, ensuring accuracy in information throughout the process.
Through sample development, providing technical guidance regarding fabrics, construction and fit
- Manage and track costings for all categories working towards a target wholesale margin in production.
- Track prototypes and collection samples and manage eventual counter-sourcing.
- Responsible for ensuring all the collection overviews are updated so communication on the collection is clear to all other departments.
- Accountable for ensuring all information and BOMs are in the system on time and are accurate.
- Support with fabric and trim sourcing from fully factored suppliers for most cost effective solutions
- Work closely with the Fabric and Trims Developer on the order of fabrics and trimmings for sampling, in order to guarantee correct pricing and deliveries
- Active participation in design fits; be pro-active in proposing finishings and trims and ensuring the communication flows between the different actors
- Liaising with pattern makers and the Design department on fitting schedule.
Measuring garments and developing spec charts for each style within product category along with proto comments to ensure an efficient and clear line of communication within team and with manufacturers
- Manage workload and deadlines for freelance pattern cutters, plan meetings for pattern hand over and fittings
- Manage fit model bookings and keep track of fitting model budget
- Define factory allocation for each collection together with the Production team
- Being present in all SMS fits for good production hand over
- Responsible for handover to production: provide information and resolve problems that arise during and after the development of the collection
- Co-operation with the Production Department, providing all necessary specs to ensure smooth handovers
- Supporting factories during development stage to provide technical assistance
Production (related to the assigned part of the collection)
- Working together with the Head of Production to ensure all styles being launched into production are fitted. Cross-check against any amendments made at SMS stage as well as any customer feedback received from the sales team
- Checking final product costings against SMS samples before launching PPS samples
- Responsible for compiling wash care instructions and disclaimers, ordering correct care labels for your product categories once confirmed
- Managing external fabric testing as required by garment technologist and Head of Production
- Approving PPS samples and preparing final tech packs and gradation sheets for the factories
- Checking grading results and flagging any discrepancies with the factories
- Following-up any technical and quality issues with the factories during production
- Booking Quality Control in collaboration with the Head of Production
- Compiling WADS (Wearing Apparel Detail Sheets) for styles within your product categories.
- Provide information and resolve problems that arise during and after the development of the collection
- Seasonal review of production & technical manuals alongside the Head of Production, in order to update finishing or fit requirements
- Responsible for tracking SMS and PPS/Gold seal samples in critical path
- Supporting with the gold seal archive and sample hand-over to commercial and marketing/press
- Responsible for logging RTV returns and follow up on necessary course of action
- Visiting factories during development and production, to work on technical issues, finishings and building relationships. This could also involve quality control on occasion
- Assisting with the development and fittings of VIP projects
- Supporting to maintain an up-to-date digital pattern archive
- Preparing for weekly catch-ups with MD and other GT/D on critical path and progress