The CAD Designer is responsible for all aspects of CAD Design including development of prints, color combinations, stripes, graphics and plaids for each season.
Responsible for a specific classification or area. This position will support the CAD Director in developing and executing a strategic vision, with a progressive, customer centric-approach all while delivering on sales and profit objectives. This role requires the ability to leverage technical expertise to identify opportunities and develop an assortment. A fundamental requirement is to be able to build trust with their teams and key collaborators. Perform other duties as assigned.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
The CAD Designer will be known as a trusted, collaborative and results-oriented leader, business partner and change agent who can lead through influence and who possesses professional maturity and industry credibility. The ideal candidate needs to be comfortable and effective leading through significant complexity. Candidates must be comfortable with quickly evaluating and sun-setting legacy approaches that no longer align to the strategy. The ideal candidate will be known for both vision and an equally strong orientation for speed.
The successful candidate will:
- Make “company first” decisions
- Ability to influence partners
- Actively influence market to drive business
- Develop self by participating in ongoing professional development and training
- Seek out innovative solutions to existing customer and/or Company challenges
- Communicate with candor and value open debate to ensure the best ideas come to life
Assortment Vision, Strategy & Selection
- Responsible for the design and development of colors, prints, and fabric simulations
- Re-color and design prints, plaids and stripes
- Scan and clean up prints to assist vendors on executing to proper number of screens. Execute color separations.
- Create proper repeats of patterns
- Create and supply print and color chips for development packages
- Approve and comment on strike-offs
- Design graphics for prints, logos, etc.
- Design “companion” prints
- Keep up-to-date on CAD technology
- Decide on in-season print/pattern changes to make for the department and vendors based on sales, margin and turn forecast in partnership with Product Development and Buying Team
- Participate in strategic meetings with recommended print/pattern assortments (Key Resources, Design, Team Management)
- Modify the print/pattern assortment based on Product Development Team and customer input
- Assist in identifying the key print/patterns that comprise each classification
- Adhere to the seasonal time and action calendar for area of responsibility
Relationship Building with Overseas/Domestic Vendors, Marketing, Product Integrity, & Technical Design
- Maintain an industry presence that allows for connections, new business opportunities and ideas at Macy’s. Represent and support the Macy’s brand while maintaining this presence and building relationships
- Communicate extensively with design and product teams
- First point of contact with Vendor Community(Overseas/Domestic)
- Communicate regularly with design & product management teams to gather input and share print/pattern development direction
- Communicate on a daily basis with overseas offices to share print/pattern development direction
- Select and approve patterns, scale, and colors.
- Use CAD programs for style, color and pattern development
- Attend fit sessions as needed with Technical Design and Design Teams to review print/pattern placement
- Regular, dependable attendance & punctuality.
- Ideally, 4-plus years of industry experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Design or Fine Arts.
- Proficiency in CAD software.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to influence.
- Able to develop, plan, present given category of business.
- Understands competitive marketplace and pursues white space opportunities that align with North Star Strategy.
- Ability to prioritize and manage workload with multiple deadlines.
- Self-starter, can work independently with minimal supervision.
- Developing and coaching Assistant/Associate CAD Designers.
- Inspires, motivates, and influences the behavior of others to drive high performance.
- Engages team to examine current practices and encourages creative thinking about how things could be more effective and efficient.
- Asserts own ideas and persuades others in a clear, confident, and composed manner. Tailors message for the audience and is able to gain support and commitment from others.
- Comfortable with taking risks and celebrating risk taking regardless of outcome.
- Collaborative, consultative style with a strong ability to establish trust and build relationships across all levels and functions of the organization.
- Resilient, tenacious, high energy. Able to rapidly bounce back from adversity.
- Embraces change with realistic optimism and persists through challenges and setbacks caused by change.
- Competitive shop and determine action necessary to address competitive challenges. Identify any print opportunities and provide suggestions.
- Strong color sense / print sense.
- Ability to view and differentiate the color spectrum.
- Working knowledge of Illustrator, Photoshop, and PLM.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and company needs.
This job description is not all inclusive. Macy’s Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy's Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.