The Technical Development Manager leads the assigned category Technical Development team to drive excellence in fit, engineering, BOM and costing. Ensure the team is balancing quality and cost to deliver on design’s aesthetic and intent. Drives product excellence, technical innovation and construction development with a strong consumer focus.
How You Will Make A Difference
- Passionate about leading and driving a team to create innovative premium performance products
- Leads the product development process from concept through to production-ready hand-off, ensuring both fit and technical engineering meets or exceeds expectation.
- Extensive technical knowledge for product and function
- Create an environment for learning, open dialogue, transparency and individual development by challenging and guiding a direct report of 2-6 members to achieve business and career goals.
- Coach & mentor technical development team & manage all Workday functions
- Plan and allocate resources to manage team workflow and insure timely completion of commitments through prioritization, delegation, or absorption
- Drive team towards 100% category buy ready product and risk assessment management
- Working manager carrying style workload needed, leaving rest of the time to manage, coach and mentor team members.
- Participate in cross function meetings to develop high quality, technical product that meets price targets, including pre-cost estimates, first costs through to final cost. Provides solutions as necessary
- Partners with Development Managers and Designers to understand fit intent and aesthetic ensuring translation into proto/ sample with consistency.
- Educate & strategize to add value to process improvements
- Ensures team is delivering to key functional responsibilities including:
- Developing BOMs in support of tech pack creation
- Evaluating all samples (Proto, SMS, pre-production) for correct fit and construction, ensuring technical specifications and are within tolerance
- Estimating pre-costs and providing solutions to aid the costing process in conjunction with Development Managers and VF sourcing Partners to ensure quality and costing parameters are met.
- Ensures both the technical superiority and the product quality/integrity of all product falling under their responsibilities.
- Identifies and assists in the development of department guidelines and standards to ensure operational excellence and consistency across teams
- Lead technical requirement of garment wear testing and implementing final execution, working with product development leads
- Provide insight and guidance to regional sourcing and Technical team leads and collaborate on construction, production or cost engineering solutions
- Partner with lead designers and category managers to either define seasonal projects to drive innovation and execution within the category.
- Performs these and other du ties as assigned
- Ability to plan and lead a team on regular onsite trips with manufactures domestic and international.
The Ideal Candidate
What You Bring
- 10+ years experience in Technical Design/Product Development in a medium or large size company
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Engineering, or Manufacturing, or Degree / Certification in Apparel Design, construction, and/or patternmaking or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Drive and supervise fittings
- Able to independently manage highly complex and important product
- Demonstrates an advanced knowledge of fit, patternmaking, and construction expertise, cost engineering and knowledge of manufacturing processes.
- Demonstrates an advanced knowledge of assigned product category, product materials, and product development lifecycle
- Skilled mentor, coaches others with clear and accurate verbal and written communication
- Demonstrates superior interpersonal skills, including the ability to create trust with cross functional teams
- Able to proactively troubleshoot and solve highly complex problems
- Demonstrates superior organizational skills
- Ability to plan and lead a team on regular onsite trips with manufactures across Asia, Americas, Middle East, Africa and Europe
- Experience leading on special development projects and creating time and action procedures to commercialize
- Detailed understanding of product creation calendar and ability to manage a team to meet deadlines
- Demonstrates proficient computer skills in MS Office software, Adobe Illustrator and PLM programs.
- Knowledge of patternmaking and virtual digital systems, like, Gerber Lectra, Browzwear 3D, Optitex, Clo3D a plus
- Deadline driven with a track record for delivering great results on time
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- High attention to detail, data accuracy and prioritization
- Flexible attitude to change