Welcome to Depop. We are the community-driven fashion marketplace where over 14M people come to buy, sell and discover unique items. We're on a mission to transform fashion by empowering the next generation of creative entrepreneurs.
With headquarters in London, spaces in LA and New York, we have a team of more than 150 people dedicated to enhancing and developing the Depop experience for our global communities. And we’re just getting started.
Depop sits at the intersection of e-commerce and social media, and we want to pioneer new ways of empowering creative entrepreneurs. The most effective way that we can achieve this is by developing an even deeper understanding of our users and what makes them tick.
Depop sits at the intersection of e-commerce and social media, and we want to pioneer new ways of empowering creative entrepreneurs. The only way that we can do that is by developing an even deeper understanding of our users and what makes them tick.
As a key member of the product team, working closely with our Director of Product and Head of Design, you will support our Product Managers and Designers to make better decisions about what they build.
Beyond that, you’ll be the champion of qualitative research methods across the company, making sure that everyone has a rich appreciation for our users motivations and behaviours. You’ll need to run robust research projects that uncover new insights, and communicate these clearly and succinctly so that we can act on them.
The main elements of this role are:
- Proactively identify areas where product teams can have most impact and foster a culture of decision making based on user needs
- Coach product managers and designers to conduct better user research, and develop a richer understanding of our users themselves
- Work with designers and engineers to deliver the best possible solutions that deliver value for our users
- Define and structure the way we investigate our users’ problems
- Support product teams as they explore critical problems our users face with both traditional (in-depth interviews, workshops and focus groups) and guerilla methods
- Take a global approach to user research to ensure local differences are captured, particularly within the US market
- Synthesise and communicate insights to various teams and stakeholders in a way that makes them more actionable and impactful
- Create the materials that keep our users’ needs front of mind for everyone
- Champion user research across Depop
The Ideal Candidate
- Significant experience in applied product research (i.e. working closely with a product development team)
- Knowledge of exploratory and evaluative user research techniques, and how to apply them appropriately to uncover non-obvious insights
- Able to scope, plan and deliver research projects with a high degree of autonomy and ownership
- Adaptable to a range of settings, and comfortable running controlled focus groups as well as stopping people in public for informal feedback
- Experience working with agile product teams
- Fluent with quantitative analysis, and able to collaborate with product analysts and data scientists to marry qualitative and quantitative insights
- The ability to communicate complicated concepts simply, and work collaboratively with a variety of stakeholders
- Good commercial awareness. You understand the link between user experience and business results, and can discuss your findings in this context
Things that would be useful, but are not essential:
- A love of fashion, especially if you’ve been a member of the Depop community for some time
- Experience working on a marketplace, in a mobile first environment or on social products