We are the global leader in prestige beauty — delighting consumers with transformative products and experiences, inspiring them to express their individual beauty. We are the only company focused solely on prestige makeup, skin care, fragrance and hair care with a diverse portfolio of 25 brands sold in 150 countries. Infused throughout our organization is a passion for creativity and innovation — a desire to push the boundaries and invent the unexpected — as we continue the bold work of our founder Estée Lauder.
About Global Corporate Citizenship and Sustainability (GCCS):
The Executive Director, Sustainability is responsible for developing, executing, managing and measuring key sustainability programs at the Company. The Executive Director will oversee the Company’s Green Buildings, GHG, Waste, and Water work streams. In addition, the Executive Director will provide advisory and strategic support to regional sustainability efforts, as well as Travel Retail and Online channels.
- Build and execute the Company’s strategy to achieve our sustainability goals in Green Buildings, GHG, waste, water, etc. Develop KPI’s and systems to report on and drive our progress.
- Lead workstreams for Travel Retail and online shopping; identifying best practices and developing plans to deploy these practices.
- Coordinate the development of score cards and dashboards to drive sustainability performance for our brands, regions and functions.
- Direct our regional sustainability efforts working with our global team in EMEA, LATAM and APAC. Ensure sustainability programs are being executed, contribute to regional team meetings, keep a pulse on key sustainability issues in the region, and develop strategies to support our brands and functions in addressing regional sustainability concerns.
- Identify and work with key organizations (e.g. NGOs, non-profits) that will help us stay ahead of trends, amplify our sustainability achievements and support regional sustainability strategies.
- Collaborate with internal business leads, including senior leadership, and external stakeholder groups to achieve key sustainability goals; develop strong relationships and partnerships.
- Maintain understanding of leading trends and changes in sustainability, corporate social responsibility, brand purpose and overall sustainability landscape, including regulatory issues.
- Establish and ensure adherence to budgets, schedules, work plans and performance requirements.
- Provide subject matter expertise input and feedback in the development of materials to promote our sustainability program and activities to be used on the company intranet, corporate website, sustainability report and our digital channels.
The Ideal Candidate
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental science, management, sustainability required; masters’ degree preferred
- 12 years of relevant professional experience from a top-tier consulting firm, or experience working in a multi-branded retail company and/or another industry with a high-profile consumer brand.
- Understanding of the sustainability landscape in global markets, such as the UK and China.
- Deep knowledge of social and environmental issues, NGO & regulatory landscape, sustainability claims and eco labels.
- Experience with reputation building, creativity and innovation in the sustainability area.
- Experience with stakeholder engagement with key groups including but not limited to: employees, consumers, communities, NGOs, government officials and other individuals/entities of influence
- Outstanding writing and presentation development skills
- Confidence to counsel company leaders on sustainability initiatives and strategy
- Exceptional organizational skills; ability to manage several projects at once, even while away from the office
- Experience communicating and marketing sustainability efforts
- Experience with sustainability reporting efforts
- Ability to travel up to 30% internationally and domestically