Menswear Curator (Fixed Term,1 year, 0.8 FTE)
We are seeking a knowledgeable, enthusiastic and experienced curator to lead on the curation of the new Westminster Menswear Archive, based at the University of Westminster. You will be responsible for the care, management and development of the menswear archive and collections. You will work to ensure museum standards are achieved across the entire collection and draw on your expertise to advise on best practice in heritage conservation. Using your excellent interpersonal skills, you will develop a strong professional network of peer organisations to support loans and acquisitions. With a solid knowledge of 20th-century designer menswear history and a passion for utilitarian and uniform dress, you will develop specialist knowledge and work with the fashion academics and others to broaden access to collections through exhibitions and the wider public programme.
Closing date: 27th February 2017
Interviews are likely to be held on 6th March 2017
Administrative contact (for queries only): Recruitment@westminster.ac.uk
Please note: We are unable to accept any applications by email. All applications must be made online. CVs in isolation or incomplete application forms will also not be accepted.
The Ideal Candidate
- Ensuring that collections are properly preserved
- Researching, compiling and preparing written information about the collection
- Maintaining records and cataloguing acquisitions
- Developing and organising new collections to expand and improve educational and research facilities
- Main duties and responsibilities of the role:
- Extensively researching, negotiating prices on and buying items that will add value to the collection
- Contributing to the development of the Westminster Menswear Archive website
- Collaborating with other institutions
- Raising funds and grants