Learn how to take the next step in your buying and merchandising career and what it takes to succeed in today's competitive job market.
Take our self-directed course through the foundations of Buying and Merchandising, which will equip you with industry insights to help you apply for jobs, boost your CV or gain up-to-date knowledge to aid your career development. Once completed, you will receive BoF certification in The Art & Science of Buying & Merchandising. If you have further enquiries, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Who is it For?
- The head-start for those looking to develop a career Buying & Merchandising
- Those in the early stages of their career who want to get ahead
- Those looking to grow their own businesses
What's in the Course?
- Video tutorials from Susanne Tide-Frater
- Presentations outlining key theoretical frameworks within market context
- Essential reading, references, role profiles and activities to solidify your knowledge
What will you Learn?
- The difference between the roles and responsibilities of each function
- Key stages of the buying cycle, critical path and how to operate around industry challenges
- How internal and external forces challenge the decision making process from sourcing to delivery
Your Tutor - Susanne Tide-Frater
Tide-Frater has a wealth of experience in product strategy and brand development. Beginning her career in Paris focusing on trend development, she then moved to take on strategic creative roles at leading fashion companies such as Selfridges, Harrods, Victoria Beckham and digital disruptor Farfetch.
What Our Students Are Saying
Course Overview 20 minutes
In the course overview the aim and structure are explained and main sections discussed within course are outlined. This is followed by an introduction to your tutor, before delving into further modules.
1. Art vs Science – Buying and Merchandising 1.3 hour
This module begins by explaining in depth what is meant by art vs science. The role profiles of the buyer and merchandiser are then presented.
2. Future vs Past – Trend Prediction and Planning 1.3 hour
This module begins by introducing the evolving nature and processes involved in the buying cycle, highlighting the purpose of trend forecasting and customer profiling.
3. Gut vs Numbers – Sourcing and Selection 1.3 hour
This module first examines the sourcing and selection process, where the influence of trade shows and fashion weeks are explored. This is followed by an investigation of product development, range planning and the importance of negotiation skills.
4. Depth vs Breadth – Allocation and Analysis 1 hour
This module concentrates on the key responsibilities of the merchandiser with respect to product allocation and delivery scheduling. The significance of the critical path is also discussed.
5. Inside vs Outside – Internal and External Challenges 1 hour
This penultimate section identifies the latest issues which buyers and merchandisers face in the current fashion environment. Topics such as CSR and data driven decision-making are presented.
6. Summary 20 minutes
Key takeaways from the course are reviewed and Susanne Tide-Frater offers personal career advice to those considering buying and/or merchandising.
Glossary of Key Terms 30 minutes
A list of key fashion terms to help students further understand meaning behind each.
References 20 minutes
List of BoF references, which may also be interesting for students to digest at their own pace post completion if looking for further reading.
Other Courses You Might Like
Do you have a question about BoF Education? If so, please refer to our FAQs below. If you need further support, please contact us at email@example.com.