- Understand what it actually means to work in Buying or Merchandising
- Strengthen your academic education with industry insight
- Gain an advantage over the competition in future job applications
For Junior-Mid Professionals:
- Gain invaluable advice on how best to balance big data and gut instinct
- Understand how Buying & Merchandising is executed in best-in-class companies
- Improve your skillset to develop your career or prepare to change role
- Gain a comprehensive overview of Buying & Merchandising
- Understand the real-world application of Buying & Merchandising in leading companies
- Enhance the skills you need to grow your own business
Your Tutor - Susanne Tide-Frater
What Our Students Are Saying
Course Overview 20 minutes
Understand the goals of the course and be introduced to your tutor Susanne Tide-Frater.
1. Art vs Science – Buying and Merchandising 1.3 hour
What does art vs science mean? Learn how buyers and merchandisers mix instinct with hard data to build product selections that customers actually want to buy. Understand how the roles of the buyer and merchandiser differ, and how they work together.
2. Future vs Past – Trend Prediction and Planning 1.3 hour
Understand why the buying cycle dictates that buyers and merchandisers work on multiple seasons at once, highlighting the importance of trend forecasting and customer profiling.
3. Gut vs Numbers – Sourcing and Selection 1.3 hour
Understand the influence of trade shows and fashion weeks within the sourcing and selection process. Consider how best to plan your range, develop product and negotiate to get the best result.
4. Depth vs Breadth – Allocation and Analysis 1 hour
Get to grips with the thorough analysis required within a merchandiser’s role to allocate product correctly across points of sale. Understand the significance of the critical path.
5. Inside vs Outside – Internal and External Challenges 1 hour
New internal and external forces are challenging the status quo at all stages of the buying cycle, from sourcing to delivery. Understand the key areas including CSR and data-driven decision making.
6. Summary 20 minutes
Solidify the key learnings from each chapter and gain invaluable career advice from Susanne Tide-Frater.
Glossary of Key Terms 30 minutes
Become fluent in Buying & Merchandising vocabulary. Fashion acronyms explained and technical terms decoded.
References 20 minutes
An appendix of further reading to augment your learning.
Do you have a question about BoF Education? If so, please refer to our FAQs below. If you need further support, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.