default-output-block.skip-main
BoF Logo

The Business of Fashion

Agenda-setting intelligence, analysis and advice for the global fashion community.

Alexander Wang Responds to Sexual Misconduct Accusations: ‘I Will Do Better’

The designer previously called the growing number of allegations ‘false, fabricated and mostly anonymous.’ Lisa Bloom, who represents 10 accusers, said her clients “are moving forward.”
Alexander Wang takes a bow at his February 2018 runway show. Getty Images.
Alexander Wang takes a bow at his February 2018 runway show. Getty Images. (Peter White)

Alexander Wang, the American designer who has faced multiple accusations of sexual misconduct since late 2020, disputed the details of the allegations on Monday while pledging to “do better” in a statement posted to Instagram.

In the post, Wang said “A number of individuals have come forward recently to raise claims against me regarding my past personal behaviour. I support their right to come forward, and I’ve listened carefully to what they had to say. It was not easy for them to share their stories, and I regret acting in a way that caused them pain. While we disagree on some of the details of these personal interactions, I will set a better example and use my visibility and influencer to encourage others to recognise harmful behaviours. Life is about learning and growth, and now that I know better, I will do better.”

In January, Wang said in an Instagram post that the accusations were “false, fabricated and mostly anonymous,” adding that “these baseless allegations were started on social media by sites which repeatedly disregarded the value and importance of evidence of fact-checking.” (In January, Wang told BoF in a statement that the claims from several accusers were “baseless and grotesquely false.”)

Although reports of Wang’s alleged misconduct began circulating years ago, they surfaced and circulated more widely in December 2020 on TikTok and Instagram. Wang denied the allegations at the time, but media outlets including BoF, the New York Times and New York Magazine — which just published a new round of allegations at the end of February — continue to report on the subject, which may have provoked the response.

Lisa Bloom is representing 10 men with allegations against Wang and his company. Bloom, a prominent Los Angeles attorney, has represented Harvey Weinstein, as well as women who accused former President Trump of sexual misconduct. On Tuesday, Bloom posted a statement on Twitter indicating she had met with Wang and his team. “My clients had the opportunity to speak their truth to him and expressed their pain and hurt. We acknowledge Mr Wang’s apology and we are moving forward. We have no further comment on this matter.”

A representative for Wang declined to comment to BoF.

Editor’s Note: This article was corrected on March 8. A previous version of this article said that Wang posted two statements to his Instagram page on Monday evening. That is incorrect. Wang posted one statement to his Instagram page on Monday evening; the previous post was from January.

Related Articles:

What Will Happen to Alexander Wang

Was #MeToo Just a Trend for Fashion?

Dolce & Gabbana Has Sued Diet Prada for Defamation



© 2021 The Business of Fashion. All rights reserved. For more information read our Terms & Conditions

The Business of Fashion

Agenda-setting intelligence, analysis and advice for the global fashion community.
CONNECT WITH US ON
Building a DRC Challenger Brand
© 2022 The Business of Fashion. All rights reserved. For more information read our Terms & Conditions and Privacy policy.
Building a DRC Challenger Brand