default-output-block.skip-main
BoF Logo

The Business of Fashion

Agenda-setting intelligence, analysis and advice for the global fashion community.

Jean Paul Gaultier Says Goodbye to the Runway

The designer's Spring/Summer 2020 couture show will be his last.
Jean-Paul Gaultier walks the runway during the Jean Paul Gaultier Haute Couture Fall/Winter 2019 2020 show | Source: Getty Images
By
  • M.C. Nanda

PARIS, France — Jean Paul Gaultier says he's leaving the runway for good. Today, the designer announced that his upcoming couture show, set to take place on January 22 during the Paris shows, would be his last, hinting that he is working on a new project to be announced soon.

The 67-year-old designer added that Gaultier Paris, his haute-couture label, “will go on,” and that he will continue to lead the brand.

In 2014, Gaultier dissolved his ready-to-wear label in order to focus on couture and collaborations, citing the hamster-wheel pace and aesthetic constraints of mass-produced collections.

Three years earlier, Spanish beauty and fashion conglomerate Puig acquired a majority stake in the company. Puig also owns and operates Gaultier’s fragrance business. Hermès previously had a 45 percent stake in the company, where Gaultier also worked as creative director for seven years before exiting in 2010.

Known as the “enfant terrible” of French fashion, Gaultier launched his business in 1982 and introduced his couture collection in 1997.

Related Articles:

In This Article

© 2021 The Business of Fashion. All rights reserved. For more information read our Terms & Conditions

The Business of Fashion

Agenda-setting intelligence, analysis and advice for the global fashion community.
CONNECT WITH US ON
Enjoy 25% BoF Professional membership until December 20
© 2022 The Business of Fashion. All rights reserved. For more information read our Terms & Conditions and Privacy policy.
Enjoy 25% BoF Professional membership until December 20